Monday, January 6, 2014

EJ’s First Adventure: Being Born

              EJ was born on October 18th, 2013, at 4:32 am via emergency cesarean section at exactly 30 weeks gestation.  He was 2 lbs 7 ounces and 14.5 inches long.  I had always thought that the moment our baby was born would be the happiest moment of our lives.  It wasn’t.  We were happy, don’t get me wrong, especially when we heard that first tiny cry, but it was also terrifying.  And it was terrifying following a sleepless night of fear and worry and complete disbelief.  EJ’s premature birth was a total shock to us.  Up until that day, I had been having a smooth, uneventful pregnancy that my doctor described as ideal.  Everything was going perfectly. 
On Thursday, October 17th, I started feeling what I thought was heartburn.  It got worse as the evening went on, and Tums weren’t helping.  I couldn’t sleep through it and was getting increasingly uncomfortable, so we decided to be safe and headed to the hospital.  I was pretty sure the nurses would laugh at me for being an overly cautious first time mom, but as long as they laughed while handing me some extra strength Tums or something, that was fine with me. 
At the hospital, they ran some tests and took my blood pressure, which was extremely high.  We heard a nurse saying there was protein in my urine and combined with the high BP, we knew that wasn’t good.  After giving Peter instructions on what to do if I had a seizure (do you have any idea how unsettling it is to hear a nurse instruct someone on what to do if you have a seizure?!), a nurse let us know I was being admitted and I was moved up to labor and delivery.  When we got there, one of my doctors met us there and said something about delivering the baby.
I heard those words, and asked, “When you say ‘deliver the baby’ you mean….?”
The doctor replied, “In 30 minutes to an hour.”
That’s when we realized we would be seeing our baby soon.  

***

We went from thinking I was overreacting to heartburn to being told our baby who wasn’t due for another 10 weeks was going to be born that night.  We were shocked.  Up until that comment from my doctor, I had been thinking maybe I’d be put on bed rest; no one had said anything to us yet about what was wrong or what to expect. No mention of how long I’d be there or if I’d need medication.  Certainly no mention of emergency c sections. 
I had developed HELLP Syndrome almost overnight.  Looking back, I had been tired, headachey, and feeling a bit flushed for a couple of days, but I thought I was just coming down with something, or, you know, was pregnant.  It turned out that what I thought was heartburn was pain from my liver becoming distended because my liver enzymes were so elevated.  In addition to elevated liver enzymes, HELLP Syndrome is marked by low platelet counts and hemolysis (the breaking down of red blood cells).  I don’t know what exactly made us decide to go to the hospital that night, but we are so glad that we did.  If HELLP goes untreated (with the only real treatment being to deliver the baby), mother and baby are both in serious danger.       

***

                They began prepping me for a c-section and Pete suited up in his scrubs.  Just as we were about to go, the doctor came back and said the neonatologist was very concerned about the baby’s gestational age (29 weeks and 6 days at that point) and wanted us to try to wait a few more hours so that steroids could be administered and have time to cross the placenta to the baby.  The steroids would help the baby’s lung development and take about 12 hours to get where they needed to go.  We would try, but we were warned that if my doctor saw anything she didn’t like, the baby would be delivered immediately. 
                I spent the night unsuccessfully trying to sleep while feeling the baby kicking and squirming away.  It was hard to believe something was so wrong when the baby was so active and I was no longer in pain.  I made it about five hours before my most recent blood labs came back and my doctor said we had to deliver the baby right away.  Since I’d been prepped for a c section hours earlier, we were on our way within minutes.  It felt like everything was happening so quickly, and I just wanted to rewind to earlier that day when everything was fine, when we still had ten weeks to prepare, and when we weren’t scared for our baby’s safety.
                I was so scared, but tried to keep it together and stay calm.  I think I did a decent job, but when I was sitting on the operating table getting my spinal block, I couldn’t help but cry.  The baby was kicking and kicking, which I normally loved, but this time all I could think was that this was the last time I would ever feel the baby kick.  These were the last moments I would be pregnant.  The future was so uncertain, but we had no choice; they had to deliver the baby.  Soon I would be numb, unable to feel the baby, and then the baby would be out of me, for better or for worse.
                The procedure went by quickly for me, although I was told it would be about an hour start to finish.  There was some pressure and some tugging, but no pain.  I stared at Pete the entire time, because I knew as long as I kept looking at him, it would be okay. Finally, I felt some extra pressure and some back and forth pulling and we heard a teeny, tiny cry!  They whisked the baby off to a team of waiting doctors, but Pete got a few glimpses of flailing arms and legs.  I could see his eyes tearing up, and I’ll never forget him saying, “I’m a daddy!  I’m a daddy!”  It was a very, very happy moment that was quickly replaced by the then familiar worry.



I realized I didn’t know if the baby was a boy or a girl just as one of the doctors asked, “Do you want to know what you had?”  It was a boy, obviously! I think we were both sort of hoping for a boy, and we didn’t have a girl named picked out yet, so we were excited and relieved.  (I hated the idea of a little girl having to be called nameless Baby Girl Horton until we picked something, and also hated the idea of potential name remorse after picking quickly and under pressure, so I was VERY relieved.)  Pete followed EJ, who had been passed through a window into a different room and would soon be on his way to the NICU, while the doctors finished up with me.  One very vivid memory I have is the loud sound of staples on the other side of the sheet.  I kept telling myself, “They’re doing paperwork.  They’re doing paperwork.  They’re doing paperwork….”  It still makes me shudder to think of it.
The next few hours seemed to take forever for me, because I hadn’t seen my baby yet and couldn’t go see him until the anesthesia wore off.  I was wheeled to a recovery area where I rested and willed my legs to start moving again (I had to be able to lift and bend my legs before I could go to the NICU and then to a private room).  I felt like Uma Thurman in Kill Bill.  I was very excited when Pete came to check on me and showed me pictures of EJ.  He looked so skinny and small!  I so badly wanted to go meet him! Finally, finally, finally I could move again and they wheeled my bed to EJ’s bed in the NICU, where I got to see him and touch his hand. 
It was such a crazy mixture of emotions; I was so happy to see him and loved him so much, but at the same time, it was heartbreaking seeing him with tubes and wires taped to his face and body and looking so vulnerable.  It was days before I knew what he looked like under it all.  I felt like I had let him down and failed to protect him since he had to come out before his little body was ready.  We didn’t know what, if anything, was wrong with EJ, how long he’d be in the hospital, or even when we could hold him.  In all the times I had pictured finally coming face to face with our baby, I never imagined feeling scared and sad and helpless.    
In spite of all these feelings, I couldn’t help but smile through the tears as I held EJ’s tiny hand with one hand and Pete’s with the other.  It was the first time all three of us had been together, and it was perfect.




Oh, and I was wrong earlier.  EJ still kicks me all the time!      
             

  

No comments:

Post a Comment